Full Time (30 hours) & part-time contracts available
We are currently recruiting Project Workers to work with Upmo. Join our dedicated team supporting adults with learning disabilities and autism to reach their individual goals and ambitions.
We have vacancies in our teams based at:
We are recruiting for full time staff who can work 30 hours a week, between the hours of 10-16:00, Monday to Friday, however both full time and part-time contracts are available.
Upmo is a Living Wage Employer; the rate of pay for this role is £11.00 per hour.
As a Project Worker, you will be part of an enthusiastic and creative team who provide daily support to adults with learning disabilities and autism as they participate in workshops and activities within our site-based services.
For this role, we are particularly interested in hearing from individuals with skills and expertise in Art, IT, Music, Drama, Dance, Virtual Reality, Photography, Gardening, and Outdoors. Or, if you have any other skills, let us know!
This role includes supporting students in workshops of their choosing, working one to one with students, and facilitating workshops, and supporting people with personal care, as and when required.
While previous experience in care or support is highly advantageous, it is not required as we provide full training and ongoing support to our staff team.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
PURPOSE OF POST: To work as part of a team providing high quality support and education to individuals with learning disabilities, within Upward Mobility workshops and activities, as well as out in the community and at home as required. Support may include assisting the students to learn and engage in workshops, to socialise at breaks and events, with tasks and personal care, as well as the facilitation and teaching of workshops.
RESPONSIBLE TO: Line Manager
MAIN RESPONSIBLITIES: To assist and support, to provide guidance and instruction to students during activities, specific to each individual student as indicated in support plans.
SALARY: Upward Mobility are a Living Wage Employer – the rate for this role is £11.00 per hour.
• Provide help and support with all aspects of personal care as required.
• Empathize and actively listen in a sensitive manner, accessing appropriate additional support (emotional/guidance) where necessary.
• Create opportunities for students to develop, establish and maintain personal relationships and networks which encourage greater participation and integration in their community.
• Liaise with line management and staff team members to provide a consistent approach that meets the individual needs of each student.
• Facilitate socialization and social activities e.g. workshops, misc. activities and managing group dynamics (where required).
• Design, plan and facilitate workshop sessions within a subject area and according to a prescribed curriculum with clear aims, experiences and outcomes.
• Undertake, where necessary, the upkeep and organization of classroom spaces and workshop resources.
• Assist in the running of extra-curricular social events for students.
• Monitor student progress and complete progress reports as required.
• Promote and preserve the independence & dignity of students as much as possible.
• Manage personal care issues with dignity and respect.
• Report any changes/issues concerning the student or the support by contacting line management, and report any areas of risk to management.
• Monitor the level of engagement and the general physical welfare of students.
• Support and understand each individual student’s needs by reading and abiding by the guidance provided by support plans and reviews.
• Identify situations which could potentially escalate, resulting in an incident, and intervene to ensure incident prevention.
• Maintain confidentiality and not divulge information to third parties unless agreement to share information has been given and agreed by the Senior Management team.
• Work in accordance with job description and contract of employment, and in line with policies and procedures noted in the Employee Handbook.
• Promote equal opportunities and respect diversity, different cultures, values and beliefs.
• Work in accordance with the Health & Safety Act 1974, the Data Protection Act 1998 and National Care Standards.
• Contribute to the overall development of the service and promote a positive image of the students, staff members, trustees and Upward Mobility as a charitable organization.
• Be responsible for their own learning and development and participate in training courses as required.
• Prepare for and attend in regular supervision and Upmo’s appraisal process.
• An understanding of the needs of adults with learning disabilities who are vulnerable within society.
• A demonstrable ability to relate professionally and respectfully to people with learning disabilities, their families and their carers.
• Physically fit and able to undertake safe moving and handling practices.
• Have effective verbal and written communication skills, including a confident telephone manner and good level of spoken English.
• Ability to liaise with external agencies and other professionals when required.
• Ability to work autonomously as well as in a larger team.
• Basic knowledge of moving and handling, health & safety standards and practices, and food hygiene.
• Current and clean UK driving licence.
• Experience of providing support or care to people living with disabilities.
• HNC or SVQ 2 and above in Health and Social Care (or equivalent).
• A creative background and skills in one or more of the following subject areas – art, music, drama, dance, IT/digital media or outdoor education.
• Experience of facilitating and teaching workshop sessions specific to the arts.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Flexibility; you may be needed to work across any of our sites within Lothians. Terms and conditions of employment are as per your contract and all details is specified in your Employee Handbook.
TRAINING: All staff are required to complete an induction and details of this will be provided if offered a position. Project Workers are required to attend on-going training to maintain skills and comply with Upward Mobility process.Read more and apply