New COVID-19 Restrictions Fund for Businesses In Midlothian
The Scottish Government has earmarked up to £40 million to support employees and businesses impacted by the Coronavirus restrictions which came into effect on Friday 9 October. The COVID-19 Restrictions Fund will be available to hospitality and other businesses required to close (except for takeaway) by the new regulations.
The scheme will open for applications on the Midlothian Council website on Tuesday 20 October.
COVID-19 Restrictions Fund
The new and temporary business support funds will be administered by local councils, providing one-off grants to businesses directly impacted by the restrictions. It will operate as a two-tiered scheme, with a smaller grant of £2,000 for businesses with a Rateable Value (RV) of under £51,000 and a larger grant of £3,000 for those businesses with a RV over £51,000. An upper limit of £15,000 in total will apply to any eligible business operating multiple premises.
At the same time, local councils will invite applications for a business hardship fund - with payments of £1,000 or £1,500, dependent on Rateable Value - to support some businesses that remain open but are still significantly impacted by the restrictions, including those in the direct supply chains of firms that must close. An upper limit of £10,000 will apply in total to any eligible business operating multiple premises.
Is My Midlothian Business Eligible?
To be eligible for this fund, your business must:
- be a hospitality or other relevant business required by law to close under the brake restrictions
- have a business bank account. This is the account your grant will be paid into if your application is successful
- have premises registered for Non-Domestic rates. Businesses that pay rates through their landlords rather than directly to a council are eligible to apply (you must provide a copy of your lease agreement as evidence)
Your business is not eligible if it has:
- breached wider COVID regulations/requirements prior to local restrictions
- connections to tax havens, as set out in the Coronavirus (Scotland) (No.2) Act 2020
Applications are welcome from limited companies, sole traders, trusts and partnerships provided they meet the other criteria.
How to Apply for the COVID-19 Restrictions Fund
Please note that that applications from Midlothian businesses for this fund are being processed on Midlothian Council's behalf by The City of Edinburgh Council. You will be taken to a page on their website where you will find application forms and further guidance. Applications open from 9am on Tuesday 20 October.
For other business advice, please get in touch with Business Gateway Midlothian.