Midlothian’s Green Businesses – Fifth House
Sustainability has been a big part of Fifth House ever since Jonny and Sara Kermode started the business in 2020. As a result, they were delighted to commit to the Midlothian Business Green Pledge to help them continue on their journey as Scotland transitions to Net Zero.
Fifth House is a Midlothian based creative agency providing everything from photography and illustration to copywriting, website design and marketing strategy. A full service agency, they provide everything businesses need to get their brand noticed by the right audience.
Why have Fifth House signed the Midlothian Business Green Pledge?
Fifth House have sustainability built into their business ethos and are now noticing that their clients are operating with a similar philosophy.
The Midlothian Business Green Pledge allows Fifth House the opportunity to keep themselves on track, ensure that they are communicating their green credentials to their clients and to access advice and support to help them on their business growth and zero emissions journey.
How Fifth House are supporting Net Zero targets
Fifth House have implemented a number of energy efficient and green practices across their business while continually looking for new, sustainable opportunities.
What Fifth House are doing
- Fifth House require large scale printing for clients. To keep this sustainable, they have partnered with Pureprint Group, who have been Carbon Neutral since 2002 and use recyclable, sustainable materials.
- Fifth House use a UK based web host for their clients who are powered with 100% renewable energy.
- Client photoshoots often result in products being left with Fifth House. In aid of Scottish charity SiMBA, and to avoid adding to landfill, Fifth House run regular auctions at their EH20 offices to allow people to own them at great prices.
- The team operate a hybrid working model to reduce travel and emissions. They are also encouraged to consider active travel with several employees cycling to work on the days they work from the office.
- With all staff working from laptops and computers, all team members are encouraged to switch all IT equipment off at the end of the day.
- Fifth House communicate their green credentials with their clients and encourage them to follow suit. This has resulted in winning a number of new contracts and working with environmentally conscious brands.
- The team’s coffee machine uses pods which are collected monthly for recycling as are their printer cartridges to reduce unnecessary landfill waste.
Fifth House’s Green Pledge
Jonny Kermode, Director and owner of Fifth House said ‘As a new and growing business we wanted to ensure that our practices were are green as possible and, looking to the future, continue to be sustainable. Signing the Midlothian Business Green Pledge has provided us with advice and access to experts who can support us. This local support avoids confusing jargon and helps us continue to find new ways be green and support Scotland’s transition to Net Zero.’
Sign the Midlothian Business Green Pledge
Whatever stage your business is at, it is essential that you have an environmental policy and continually plan to improve your environmental performance. The Midlothian Business Green Pledge offers Adviser support, advice and introductions to our partner organisations to connect you with the right people to make a difference.